Sometimes we crave a salty and crunchy snack and settle with what we have in rich, for example, chips. But is there a healthy snack to indulge us?
Yes, there is! Chickpeas are a superfood with great health benefits. They are super-rich in fiber, and they help with weight loss and blood sugar. And baked they turn into crunchy mini-balls of heaven! Any more reasons to try this snack? Oh! and they are gluten-free and vegan.
Let's first find out why it is a good idea to include chickpeas in your diet.
- Chickpeas contain a small number of calories –46 calories per 1-ounce (28-gram)– and they are packed with vitamins and minerals –phosphorus, folate, iron, copper and manganese.
- They contain a lot of fiber and protein –and this can help you control your appetite, as protein and fiber promote slow digestion and this makes you feel fuller.
- Chickpeas may help prevent some chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
- They’re inexpensive and easy to find at stores and, as you'll read in this article, it is very simple to include them in your diet.
- They are an excellent meat alternative in vegetarian and vegan meals.
Now that you know why you should prepare this dish, without further to do, here's the recipe!
The first step is to hydrate the Chickpeas with plenty of water for at least 12 hs and strain. (Though it may seem tedious, you can hydrate as much as you can in one go and use it to make hummus or falafel and burgers to batch cooking and freeze)
Boil the chickpeas until they are done, strain, and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180º/356ºF. Put the chickpeas in a bowl and flavor to your taste. You can use salt, pepper, smoked curry, and olive oil ( we recommend you to use 1 tbsp of virgin olive oil if you want to make it low-fat)
- In a baking dish with a little oil bake for 15-20 minutes until they are crispy.
Chickpeas are tasty and worth including in your diet if you want to reap their health benefits.
Now you know how to surprise your guests with a super healthy and delicious snack!
You may also like this recipe!