Have you ever felt like eating some comfort dessert to prepare at home, but don't feel like spending a lot of time cooking? Here's a super simple cherry crumble, that on top of everything, is cruelty-free!
This is a recipe I enjoy doing at home, not only because it's delicious and smells amazing, but also because I can modify the recipe and include the fruits I have at home. It is the perfect dessert to share with friends and it's completely vegan/vegetarian, sugar-free and flour-free!
Remember that by reducing your refined sugar intake you'll be lowering your risk of high blood pressure, inflammation, diabetes, and fatty liver disease and heart disease. On the other hand, if you cut down on white flour, you'll be avoiding constipation, obesity, stress and headaches.
I usually prepare it with cherries from my own tree, so it's a dish I prepare during summer. The good thing is, that if you can't find cherries, you can do it only with apples or use a bag of frozen berries.
Without further ado, I present to you, my own cherry and apple crumble!
Super easy plant-based cherry and apple crumble: sugar and flour free!
- Servings: 8
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Green apples 2 kg
- Cherries or any other berry you can find 2 cups (please remove the pits if you are using fresh cherries!)
- Honey (if you are vegetarian) or maple syrup (if you are vegan) to taste
For the crust:
- 100 g of vegan butter
- 1/2 cup of honey/maple syrup
- 1 cup and a half of almond flour
- Cinnamon to taste
- Nutmeg to taste.
This is so simple I feel like it doesn't need much explaining.
- Peel the apples and cut them into cubes.
- Mix in a bowl the cherries, the apple cubes -if you like you can add some lemon juice so they maintain their color better-, and I usually add, let's say 3 tablespoons of honey/maple syrup.
- Place the mixture in a baking pan and bake for 20 minutes at 180°C or until the apple is soft.
- In a bowl mix with your hands (or a mixer if you have) the vegan butter, half a cup of honey/maple syrup, and the almond flour until it has the consistency of a crumble -season with nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Remove the fruit from the oven and place the crumble on top of the baking pan and bake again in 170°C until it's golden.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool. You can top it with some vegan cream, ice cream, just about anything you like!
And that's it friends! you have your super healthy vegan cherry apple crumble to enjoy with your loved ones. Oh! how we love our comfort food!
You may also like this article!