Chickpeas, or garbazo beans, may not be a popular superfood, but they are full of incredible benefits and in case you didn't know, there are hundreds of practical ways to include them in your weekly meals.
Chickpeas are a super versatile legume that is not only great for those who eat plant-based diets, but for everyone who wants to include a super tasty and nutritious superfood! In case you haven't heard of all its benefits, here are some of the most important ones!
Benefits of eating chickpeas
1. They help in weight loss
During a recent study, participants reported more satisfaction if chickpeas (garbanzo beans) were included in their diet. They also consumed fewer processed snacks and less food overall as a result.
2. They are high in fiber
Only two cups of chickpeas are needed to provide the ENTIRE daily value of fiber!
3. It helps control blood sugar levels
In some parts of the world, chickpeas are eaten daily in large amounts and on a year-round basis. A recent study though showed that even smaller amounts of chickpeas will improve blood sugar levels and insulin secretion.
4. Chickpeas are a super healthy low-calorie snack
If you are feeling hungry between meals, you should try these roasted chickpeas as a snack!
5.They are great for gut health
The fiber in chickpeas is mostly soluble, meaning it blends with water and forms a gel-like substance in the digestive tract. Soluble fiber may increase the number of healthy bacteria in the gut and prevent the overgrowth of unhealthy bacteria.
Here's one of my favorite recipes!
Sweet roasted chickpeas
What you need
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- pinch of salt
What to do
- Preheat oven to 400F or 200C.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Dry them with paper towels or a tea towel.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil and spices. Add the chickpeas to the bowl and toss until evenly coated.
- Pour the chickpeas in an even layer onto a sheet pan with sides lined with foil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
- Add maple syrup and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.